Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fictional BFFs: Jessi's Picks


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time...just post what you can!



 
Next week's topic:

Coziest Places to Read/Favorite Places to Read



This week: Top Ten Character's I'd Like to Be Best Friends With



Jessi’s Picks: 

  1. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series: Okay, so let’s be serious here—this girl kicks some butt! Out of all of the books I’ve ever read, I have to say that I’ve always related to Hermione the most—from the bushy hair to being bookish even when it isn’t “cool.” This girl definitely tops my list.
   2. Lizzie from Pride and Prejudice: Ever since I first read this book, I’ve loved how strong-willed and independent Lizzie is. Not only that I feel like we would have tons of fun talking about books and how adorable Mr. Darcy is. ::ahem::
   3.  Mattie from A Northern Light: Mattie is another character that I would love to read with and do bookish things with. Her home life is pretty stressful, so I could see myself as her shoulder to lean on when times got tough. Plus, if she doesn’t want Weaver for herself, I’d totally date him…!
    4. Lena from The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: Out of the four girls in the Sisterhood, I’d have to say that I related to Lena the most. I can be pretty quiet, mostly just because I enjoy the quiet. We’re both pretty introspective, and enjoy the beauty in the world around us, so I think we’d make a pretty good BFF pair. 
    5. Jo from Little Women: Jo is another feisty female character that I could see myself being best friends with. Growing up, I loved her character because I was a tomboy myself, and I can remember my mom and my grandma always telling me that I needed to behave “like a lady.” We could run around together, and I would help her act out her plays—we’d have tons of fun!
    6. Roland from Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series: Sometimes, we all need that completely bad*** friend who has our back, no matter what. What between his uncannily quick reflexes and his somewhat Clint Eastwood-esque ability to make people shake in their boots, I think I’d like to have Roland around. 
   7. James from James and the Giant Peach: I used to be fascinated by his story. I think as a little kid, everyone liked the idea of being able to completely run away from home when things got rough. I think I’d enjoy hanging out with James in his peach, with his buggy friends.
   8. Samantha from American Girl: Samantha was one of my favorite American Girls. I love the Victorian period that she lived in. Plus, I always thought that the way she treated others, specifically those lower on the social ladder, was very telling of her character.
   9. Matilda from Matilda: This one should be pretty obvious. What little girl who loves books didn’t want to be best friends with Matilda? I always wished that I had her powers. My heart always broke for her during the scene that says she just wanted to have a friend. I’ve always wished I could be a friend for her!
   10. Anne from Anne of Green Gables: Oh, Anne. Anne is another little girl I would have enjoyed being friends with. I love to think about the adventures I would have gotten into with Anne!


I had so much fun imagining all of the characters I’d love to be BFFs with! Now it’s your turn—who are your fictional BFFs? I’m looking forward to seeing what you all come up with! 




48 comments:

  1. Fun list! even if I couldn't come up with 10.... again. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't up with 10 either but I agree that this was a fun list to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time I play with you... But in french on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a couple of the same choices. I didn’t think of Matilda, but she would be a great friend! If you get a chance, come visit my list…
    http://twobibliomaniacs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've got 3 in common. Anne, Jo and Lizzie... for pretty much the same reasons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't come up with 10 either... but I like the idea very much !

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very cool as idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent list. I forgot to add Hermione to mine. Argh. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne was such a good choice! I wish I'd remembered to add her, and that I'd thought of Lena. She was definitely my fave of the Traveling Pants girls too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, Hermione was my #1, too, along with Ginny! Forgot about Jo - excellent choice! Samantha was my fav, too!

    -Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had Hermione and Matilda, too. I could definitely see myself being friends with Lena and Samantha (she was my favorite American Girl!). Clearly there is some bookish overlap :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't even think of Hermione! That was should have been obvious. I did have Anne though. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun list! I couldn't come up with 10, (not yet anyways), I'm going to keep thinking about it! But when I found out this was going to be one of the lists, I was excited to add my first person!!

    Unfortunately, I didn't have any one on my list, from yours. And I'm embarrassed to say that I don't think I've even read ANY of the books you've got listed. Aside from James and the Giant Peach but I read that so long ago I can't even remember what it's about!!!

    Great list though!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had so much fun compiling my list. It's interesting to see the variety and also which characters are the most coveted friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Anne of Green Gables! But I forgot her in my list :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list. I had a hard time coming up with 10 I thought that would be easy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought about picking Jo but I went for Laurie out of the Little Women crew.

    ReplyDelete
  18. fun topic this week-I really enjoyed putting my list together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Matilda is an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun topic! I could have listed tons more :D I also love Anne--I always felt like her best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OoO good list! I forgot about Samantha- Felicity was my favorite, but I do think Samantha is the best example of a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun List, Love your choice :)
    First Time I put my list.. it's very hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great list. There are some characters that seem pretty universal, but you have some different ones too.
    I just about came up with ten :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd love to be Hermione's BFF too. But, I'd have to add Ron and Harry to that list as well.

    Thanks for such a fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My first time but in french. I love this topic !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list! I haven't done mine yet but I'm working on it.

    I don't think I could be friends with Roland Deschain... I don't think I could think of him Quite that platonicly :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lizzie was on my list as well! I liked this one. I had an easy time coming up with best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was so much harder than it sounded! I thought I'd be able to come up with 10 for sure and I got stuck at 7.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some great choices here! I think I would also get along with Lizzie and Jo, and I too related to Lena the best of the sisterhood.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'am late, but here is my top ten !
    It's still not wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is my first top ten! Love the idea:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great girl power list! I'm embarrassed to say that mine only has two female characters (one of whom is part of a pair). EPIC GENDERFAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have to agree with E.L Fay here, so much girl power going on!! I've only got a few girls on mine, but they're so kick ass I think they well and truly make up for being in the minority of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  34. After looking through everyone's lists I find it interesting how many friends are from YA novels. I wonder if it's because we grew up with the characters and remember them fondly or if there is something about YA character that make them more personable

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good to see Roland on your list. It's been a few years since I read The Dark Tower series, but he would be a great friend to be a "sidekick" to...

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love Roland. I wouldn't want him to be just my friend, since I have a huge literary crush on him. Cuthbert made my friend list instead.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yay! I'm so glad you picked Hermione and Anne. Those are probably the two girls I'd have on my list, since I haven't always had a ton of girls as friends. Love this feature!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This was harder than it should be...but I got mine up.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fun list! This is my first top ten Tuesday and it turns out that many of my choices coincide with yours...

    ReplyDelete
  40. This was harder than I thought it would be, but I finally finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great theme! This is my first Top Ten Tuesday as well, I thought about who I would choose all day at work as I browsed other peoples choices!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I did my list (for the second time) but in french after Karine from http://moncoinlecture.over-blog.com/ :-) I like your topics... greeting from France

    ReplyDelete
  43. My first meme ever - thanks, this was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  44. My first meme ever - thanks, this was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This was a fun idea. I modernized mine so that I listed 10 fictional characters I read this year that I'd buy a beer.I

    If you're talking all time BFF, I can only come up with five so far: Hans Castorp from Magic Mountain, Don Quixote, Prince Hal from Shakespeare, Paul Maclean from A River Runs Through It, and Ulysses from Tennyson's poem.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails