Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kimberly's Top Ten Holiday Books


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. Don't worry if you don't have ten or if you have more than ten! Post what you can!



Next week the topic is-- Top Ten Characters I'd Like to Be Best Friends With

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Just when winter is starting to settle in and you can just feel the holidays right around the corner! I have a few books that I read around this time every year, I love holiday books. Here is a list, in no particular order, of my favorite holiday books.

1.How the Grinch Stole Christmas- Love this book! I love both movie versions as well.

2. The Christmas Sweater by Glen Beck- Ok, now I know what your first thought is going to be when you see who the author is. There is nothing political about this book whatsoever. So even if you don’t like Glen Beck, you’d probably like this book. It’s a very sweet, heartwarming story.

3. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens- Probably my very favorite. I own a Christmas village that is based Charles Dickens’ works. I have some buildings that appear in A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist and a few other books. Every year when I put the village up, I have to take out Christmas Carol and read it again! And then watch the Alistair Sims version of the movie!

4. Harry Potter series- Yes, weird I know. For some reason I always have an urge to reread at least one of the books from the series this time of the year.

5. The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg- This became a favorite after seeing the movie years ago.

6. God Bless Your Way by Emily Freeman- A rather beautiful story of Christ’s birth. It’s told from the point of view of a man who follows Mary and Joseph into Bethlehem. Beautiful artwork too.

7. The Christmas Thief/Deck the Halls by Mary Higgins Clark- I’m a fan of her anyway, but I really enjoy her Christmas books.

Ok, so I couldn’t think of any other holiday books! I thought I’d have more… but I couldn’t think of any others. So what are some of your favorites? All of mine are Christmas books, can you think of any that are about other holidays?


 

24 comments:

  1. Love the Grinch! And I still have never read A Christmas Carol. I've seen the plays and movies but I need to read the book at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the Harry Potter -- I re-read the series for the first time during Christmas break, and I always think of the series in terms of going back to school and the coming of winter. I like thinking of Harry and Ron playing Wizards' Chess and roaming freely around the castle in the first few books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't really think of Holiday books, so I went with holiday movies instead. That was much easier. haha.

    But I do have to agree with the ones you picked. Harry Potter is one of those series that's great whenever, but they seem to be even better in the winter. Maybe it's the cold weather, gray skies, and hot cocoa that gives the books that extra something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, quite difficult to find some holidays book for me ! I'm afraid I stopped at 7...
    I agree with you for Harry Potter. I am more The Lord of the rings type, but the idea is the same : to go far far away, in a place with wizards and a very evil enemy !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine all turned out to be children's books. I haven't read a good Christmas book in forever! To me the Grinch that Stole Christmas is a classic must read for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother raved about The Christmas Sweater. She, too, kept telling me, to ignore the author. Mmmm....

    Here's my list of Top Ten Books to Read During the Holidays. I could have easily made a Top Fifty Books for this list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Mary Higgins Clark does sound like fun!
    It was pretty difficult for me to come up with 10 for this one, too, but I'm proud to say I did it! (It's nice to be able to derive a sense of accomplishment from something as simple as a top ten list. :)
    Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I also put Grinch on my list. And you've given me some lovely ideas for holiday books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's just something about Harry Potter that makes it feel Christmasy:)

    I could only come up with 7 too. Let's call it a lucky Christmas number :p

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is next week's meme? Could you give me the link to post where all the upcoming memes was posted? Thanks.
    Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thanks for posting this list because I've realized that I need to read more holiday books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree-the first time Harry has a real Christmas in book one was a wonderful holiday moment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again for hosting :) This was a tough one for me, so I threw in some holiday movies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, somehow my thing went on the list twice as I realised that I'd typed my blog name wrong but accidentally entered it again :P Anyway, great idea for a list, made me really think about the books that I read at Christmas - not all of them are technically Christmas-themed but do make me think about the holidays for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a Christmas Carol, too. But, I am with you...it's hard to think of books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm morally opposed to reading anything whatsoever by Glen Beck. Haha. Great list though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas! It topped my list... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a really fun Top Ten. Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to see that I'm not alone in coming up with ten holiday books!

    So happy to see so many others that read Harry Potter during the holidays! "Have a very Harry Christmas" haha


    Ingrid- Like I said, don't let who the author is stop you, don't look at his political or religious standpoints. The book is a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't like the book of A Christmas Carol for some reason: I like Charles Dickens' other works. I haven't read The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, but maybe I'll get around to it this year!
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jumping in late...with my own little mystery twist on the Holiday books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally get in the mood for the Harry Potter books and movies this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list topic. Just in time to get us in the Christmas swing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails