Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Julia's Top Ten Favorite Love Stories

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers’ answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. If you can't come up with ten, don't worry about it---post as many as you can!

Next week the topic is: TOP TEN BOOK TO MOVIE ADAPTATIONS. See a list of future TTT here.

Though I am sure you are sick off all the love stuff (although I may point out that there is a good chance your favorite heart full of chocolate is marked down today at your local grocer), you can't deny that there are some great books with even greater love stories.

1. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Is it still a love story even if things are... well rocky would be a good way to describe it. Yup, and this on is often marketed as the greatest one ever. I don't know if it deserves such high acolades for its love, but it is a great story that took very Ohioan me and transported me to the South in the Civil War. And who doesn't know who Rhett and Scarlett are?

2. Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Henry and Clare are such interesting characters and learning about each of their lives through the eyes of the other (or the time of the other) is quite a heart wrenching story. I just love this book and the sole reasons why is their story. And the time travel..

3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
This story is great. I read it on the beach one summer and it was the perfect beach read about life in the circus. I don't want to get too much into it seeing as it is a great story that is best left to the reader, but let me just say that I liked it enough to include on this list.

4. Titanic: The Long Night by Diane Hoh
This is the point in the list where I can hear you saying, "What book is this?" Well lets paint a picture. It's around the time the movie came out, and being obsessed with everything Titanic I saw this book in Scholastic and bought it. Two girls meet two boys and the stories unfold from there. I may have to dig this one out and give it another go.

5. Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
Look! It's not Romeo and Juliet! Beatrice and Benedick's story is 1000 times more awesome than those kids. They've been around the block and know better from it (for one they don't kill themselves at the end). This play is hilarious and if you have not had a chance to read it, I highly recommend it!

6. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
I can hear the cries and gasps, but I have to include this. It is a great story and the heart of the story is Humpert's "love" for Lolita. For such a creepy topic, the writing is just beautiful. And I felt like I wanted to include it on the list

7. Romance Novels by Various Authors
I can't tell if I am deciding this is a cop out or just the way I feel. I read SO MANY romance novels. I did that math and 46% of the books I read last year were sold in the romance genre. So why isn't this 10 romance novels? Probably because I expect them to be about love. I honestly don't know why they don't individually resonate with me more. But as a collective, they deserve a spot on this list.

8-10 I am cheating a bit on. I have never read these books, but I have seen movies based on these books that I think are lovely. So that's my caveat. So I guess we can stop my book list at 7 and add my Top 3 Love Movies Based on What I am Assuming Are Love Books

8. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I am in love with the BBC special. I love it so much that I've put the book on my TBR (remember Top Ten Books I can't Believe I've Never Read anyone?) I know it will be worthwhile once I actually get around to reading it.

9. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
Another mini-series that is just sigh enducing. This one a little bit more... well messed up because it involves... a priest and a young women as she ages... but I still liked it. It's been on my to read for forever...

10. North and South Elizabeth Gaskell
Just saw this BBC miniseries and it was really good. I really think I would enjoy the book. I didn't even know it was a book (or if I did it was in passing) until my google search post watch or else I would have done the reverse. But this was love too.


So those are my lists. Convoluted to be sure, but my own. Link up on the linky below to share your list! Let's share some love!

57 comments:

  1. I accidentally entered my link twice. Sorry! Happy V-day. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day. Ive got Pride and Prejudice on my list also, The Time Traveller's Wife was good :)
    www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about mentioning Scarlett and Rhett, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got Lolita on my list too...but possibly for different reasons. Love, love, love this meme!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo... I SO want to read North and South! I just saw the BBC one too. :) Good stuff! I love your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Gone with the Wind too! I put it on my list even though I've never read the book, but I love the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Valentines Day for yesterday, Broke and Bookish team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah, my computer froze and it added my link twice! Sorry! Silly computers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have chosen some pretty good ones.

    I'll be back to enter the link when the linky is up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dana Michelle BurnettFebruary 15, 2011 at 5:26 AM

    Love your list! Mine would be:

    1. Gone with the Wind-People's expectations were high,afraid that the film wouldn't due their book justice.
    2. Delores Clairbourne-Difficult book to bring to the screen because of the way that the story is told.
    3. Misery-Annie Wilkes still gives me goosebumps!
    4. Twilight (yep, had to go there)-Much like GWTW, this book had a loyal following and the movie was either going to please them or offend them. You would have to be very brave as a director or producer to take this one on!
    5. The Color Purple-This is another book that seemed difficult to bring to the screen because of the technique used to write it.
    6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood-Another novel with a loyal fan base. It would have been easy for Vivi to come off on screen too over the top, they did a good job making her a vulnerable monster just like the book did.
    7. The Hours-WOW! That's all I'm saying.
    8. Fried Green Tomatoes-A classic both in print and on screen.
    9.Interview with a Vampire-This film helped take the vampire legend to the younger generation. Anne Rice made us sympathize with a blood sucker and the film portrayed him very well.
    10. Lolita-A touchy subject that was filmed beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you picked Much Ado About Nothing! It's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy that you picked Much Ado! Great choice! I also completely agree on Lolita!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have some of the same books listed! Good idea with Much Ado About Nothing- I forgot about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice list and great commentary. I also had GWTW, Pride and Prejudice, and Time Traveler's Wife!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot about Time Traveler's Wife - errrr. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very appropriate topic! I want to check out Water for Elephants. I feel like I keep seeing it brought up as a good read

    ReplyDelete
  17. Re. North and South - I enjoyed the BBC production as well, but then I read the book, and the book is 10 times better! The movie did change the focus to deal more with the love story; while the book was much more of a social commentary on the injustices of the class system during the Industrial Revolution (with the love story as a side-plot).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also apologies for my link showing up twice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Much Ado About Nothing has been on my nightstand for ages! Am really going to read it now

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not a fan of romance novels myself, but they certainly deserve more respect as a genre for women by women that's also been keeping the publishing industry afloat.

    I've never read Water for Elephants or The Time Traveler's Wife but I've heard a lot great things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gone With the Wind made my list, too. This is my first time participating. Thanks for hosting this meme!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have decided seeing as I've seen Pride and Prejudice on each and every list, we (as Top Ten Tuesday participants) must declare that to be the ultimate love story! Haha! Great list!

    Sonette @ Bookworm Blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Thorn Birds is probably my favorite. So tragic. I have been in love with Father Ralph since I was a girl (it helps that he's played by Richard Chamberlain--hahaha!), and my heart always breaks for them every time I see the mini-series. The book is very good. I really think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane austen is "the autor", by reference, beautiful loves stories

    ReplyDelete
  25. I took a slightly different tack and offered various sorts of 'love' stories: familial, romantic, spiritual, unrequited, etc. Hope that was OK: it did produce some interesting results, I think.
    North and South is one I haven't tried yet... Perhaps it's time! Thanks for the commentary and the bridge to next week's top 10!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not sure I'd call what Humbert feels for Lolita love...but it is possibly my favorite novel.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gone with the Wind was my first choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great question!
    http://samjaymc.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-favorite-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you get a chance to read P&P soon, it's better than the movie :) (I also love the movie, don't get me wrong)
    I also have a collective Romance Novels spot, for some reasons the individual characters don't stay with me as much as the others on my list do.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really need to read Gone With The Wind!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gone with the Wind was #1 on my list too :) I forgot about Water for Elephants. That was a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this question! So hard to limit myself to 10 favorites. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I also loved Benedick and Beatrice! They are such a riot. I have North and South on my tbr pile to read for my Victorian Lit Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like Henry and Clare in The Time Travelers's Wife, but the book just didn't do it well... I think I liked the movie more (waits for rocks to be thrown).

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want to read The Time Traveler's Wife and Water for Elephants. And want to see Pride and Prejudice too - I know that is beloved by many! I enjoyed reading your list and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The only book I've read on your list is The Time Traveler's Wife. I love Claire and Henry. I only wish the book explored more of their relationship than sex.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a varied selection, and I have to agree with you about the BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice" being one of the best formats of the novel. :) It's just ever so long!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  38. here's minehttp://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-book-to-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. I shared Pride and Prejudice with you. :)

    Lolita is one of my all time favorite books. I'm so glad to see others loving it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love Pride & Prejudice, and it's just as good as the movie! :) Definitely a great love story!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Irresistible topic this week! Thanks for kicking it off, Julia, and for reminding me that I absolutely had to include Benedick and Beatrice. Of course, I had Pride and Prejudice, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I challenged my husband to do his favorite couples too, which he did. :) I added his link to Mr. Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Julia,

    Great list! Pride and Prejudice is an all-time fav of mine. I still need to read Gone with the Wind, too. But,I might wait until my 100 books in a year challenge is over ;)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great topic! I loved Water For Elephants & while I didn't immediately think of it as a love story, it ultimately is in so many ways. I had to make 5 of the top 10 movie couples--too hard to resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've been wanting to join in with the Tuesday fun, but have never had the time, or felt short on good ideas. I only came up with seven, but anyone can feel free to jump over to my blog and check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have Beatrice and Benedick too! Much Ado About Nothing is so much better than stuffy old Romeo and Juliet! Great list. You should definitely read Pride and Prejudice — it's, like, the best story ever.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I did a post with a topic very like yours yesterday. It's not quite the same, but close enough? Here.
    Great list, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This was my first ever Top Ten Tuesday!
    I'm sleepy now. Goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  49. You really should read Pride and Prejudice! It's such a classic =)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love it! so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  51. Rhett and Scarlett...the love story to base all other love stories on...even though it didn't end so well :(
    I've GOT to read The Time Traveler's Wife and Water for Elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  52. That was fun! This is the first time I've participated.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Sorry mine was a little late...but I figured it's better late than never! :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is my first time participating in this meme but that was fun! Awesome list btw.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Cool meme/feature! This is my first time participating in this.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I haven't seen any of these movies that you're referring to--however I'm sure they're good. And as for romance novels, one that comes to mind is The Notebook. I haven't read the book (and I'm not a fan of Nicholas Sparks) but LOVE that movie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails