Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Jana's Top Ten Favorite Book Settings


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


Hi all! Jana here. This week I'm listing my favorite book settings. Summertime makes me think about vacations. Vacations make me think about my measly little bank account. Thinking about my measly little bank account makes me think about how I can't afford to travel as much as I want, or to the places I want. So... what do I do? I read books, because those are really cheap vacations. I absolutely love books that take place in a setting that gets so much attention, it's almost as discussed as the characters themselves. It's fun to picture what everything looks like and imagine myself there as well. So, without further ado, here's my list!

Narnia (from The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis) – Who wouldn’t love to at least visit this fantasyland, full of beautiful things and interesting creatures?

Baskerville Hall in Devonshire (from The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) – This imposing hall is surrounded by creepy, lonely, and ominous moorlands that set the scene for a book equally as creepy. I mean, come on. A diabolical hound with red eyes wanders these moors, and has chased the Baskervilles for centuries. I read this book in school, and it scared me to death!

The Metropolitan Museum of Art (from The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg) – Perhaps I could chalk this one up to my degree in art, but I’d love to live in the Met! Years after I read this book, I got to go to NYC and visit the Met, so I can picture everything perfectly. It was be an amazing place to live! These kids hid in the bathroom until closing time and then had the run of the whole museum! They bathed in the fountain and slept in antique beds that were part of the exhibit. Plus, they were around all that amazing art! Sounds wonderful to me!

Sunrise Key, Florida (from Kiss and Tell by Suzanne Brockman) – Sunrise Key is a fictional island paradise that floats in the perfectly blue waters of the Gulf of Mexico. People there live the small-town life, and they all know each other. It’s quiet, not overrun by tourists, and you’re safe walking on the beach at night alone. Plus, there are cute houses and quaint shops and cafes. I can just picture white picket fences, sprinklers running, red and white awnings, and flower boxes galore!

The book store in Mercy Falls (from The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy (Shiver, Linger, and Forever) by Maggie Stiefvater – If you’ve read the books, you know the quaint bookstore I speak of. It reminds me of the one from You’ve Got Mail. Only one or two employees work at a time, it smells of books (instead of coffee and pastries—I love the smell of books!), and there’s a loft with a comfy sitting area to read! I know I would spend way too much time there if I lived close by, especially if there were a chance of running into Sam!

The Arena (from The Hunger Games trilogy (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay) by Suzanne Collins – Now, don’t get me wrong. I would never want to actually be in the arena, unless I was visiting between the games. Lol. Seriously, though, you’ve read the descriptions of this place! I’ve got a picture painted in my mind that I won’t share, for fear of ruining the picture in your mind. I’d love to see all the crazy things that happen there, though—minus the killing. I’m too tender-hearted to see that!

Pembrook Park, England (from Austenland by Shannon Hale) – I’ve reviewed this book for TB&TB already, so you know how much I love it! Pembrook Park takes you back to the days of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Residents there get the full Regency experience. There are beautiful gardens, lovely architecture, and men all decked out in the attire Mr. Darcy wore oh, so well.  Who wouldn’t enjoy THAT scenery?

Modern-day New York City (from Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll) – Yes, it’s just present-day NYC, so what’s so special about it? Because readers explore the unseen parts of New York! You go underground and discover art worthy of rivaling the Sistine Chapel ceiling, you go inside abandoned water towers to find evil beings, visit extravagant fictional hotels, and enter shops that are there one day and gone the next. The descriptions of these different places express such lovely imagery, that one could not help but be mesmerized.

Underwater – I went through a phase last summer of mermaid books. I think I love them because of the awesome descriptions authors come up with for these magical undersea towns/villages/kingdoms. One book in particular, Beneath a Sapphire Sea  by Jessica Bryan had me captivated by the world she created!

Italy – Need I say more? The old architecture, art, cobblestone alley-ways, gondolas... and very attractive men speaking the most beautiful language I've ever heard!


So, what do you think? Am I forgetting a place? Let me know! I'm so excited to see what you all put on your lists. Plus, I need more ideas for cheap vacations... so give me some more books to get lost in!


Click HERE for future Top Ten Tuesday topics!!



43 comments:

  1. Definitely would have to agree on Narnia. Such a nice place with so much going on to see and do. And I really like Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I totally forgot about Narnia. I agree about The Lord of the Rings, although I haven't read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about the Metropolitan Museum - loved the book "The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" as a child and I thought those two kids were so lucky for their great adventure. It's still one of my most beloved books from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, you specified the bookstore in Mercy Falls whereas I just said the city in general. :) And who wouldn't love Narnia? Very nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I had Narnia on my list too! Ooh I love the bookstore in Mercy Falls, it's quite like a place near where I live. I like the idea of the Arena, except for the killing, they sound freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Underwater! That'd be awesome too. Lovely picks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your choices of Narnia, the Met, and Baskerville Hall - all very cool places! And I would love to have any museum to myself after hours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh! Good list- I forgot about the bookstore in Mercy Falls- very romantic. I might start crying again now... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just discovered this meme, so I've decided to do two each week - one from the beginning and the most recent one - so I don't fal lfurther behind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice list! I picked some real places as well. :o)

    Mickey @ imabookshark

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have to agree with Narnia, but I would also have to add Atlanta from the 1800's from Gone Wiith the Wind, and the garden district of New Orleans from The Witching Hour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bakerville Hall does sound cool. I've been on an old-country-estate binge in my reading lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm there with you in Narnia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I skipped Narnia very consciously: I don't feel that it is fully realized, or beautifully described enough to excuse the fact that it's not fully realized. That might be my dislike of the books showing, though.

    I did pick a LOT of other fantasy worlds that I like more:
    My Top Ten List

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea - my list is up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the list! I never would have thought of Underwater...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When Maggie S comes back to MN I'll ask her if it's based off a specific store :0) There obviously is no Mercy Falls MN but the town she based it off of is close and Duluth is there, I should drive up and go hunt wolves...LOL.

    Sorry - I' got caught up in that one! LOL. Great list and hope you swing in to mine today as well!

    http://www.memyshelfandi.com/2011/06/top-ten-tuesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the topic! I have NYC and Italy on my list as well. It almost doesn't matter what the story is, if it takes place there it's bound to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful pick of settings this week and I agree with you on the arena from The Hunger Games. Great setting but I wouldn't want to be there. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you included Pembrook Park! Austenland is one of my favorite books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't tell you how many closets I've walked into in my search for Narnia. And I totally agree about the bookstore in Mercy Falls. Fabulous picks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Narnia is a good choice - although I had to go with Alice in Wonderland's Wonderland (but, like I said in my blog, I'm not sure if I just like Wonderland because of the characters that reside there).

    ReplyDelete
  23. All I can think of when I think of the Arena is Rue with flowers around her-- and I just can't stand the thought.Well, I also think of the stream and cave.....

    Can you imagine how violent the movie is going to be??? How are they going to market that to children??

    (I loved the books by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is my first Top Ten Tuesday, and I loved racking my brain for it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh great list! I feel the same way as you about The Arena! lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh, Narnia! Definitely.

    I put Pembrook Park on my list as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is an awesome Top 10 Tuesday! I completely agree about Narnia and the Met, oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi. I'm a fairly new blogger and have been wanting to do a Top 10 Tuesday for weeks and finally decided to go for it. Thanks for creating such a great meme.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm posting late today, but I love this topic! Great stuff.

    Narnia was on my list, too, of course.

    Must. Read. Austenland.... I've been through almost everything else Hale has written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Along the lines of better late than never, I've finally posted today's Top Ten post. The post in advance of the date thingy on my google blogger has never worked so each of my longer posts has to be worked on the actual day of posting. Some days are more frantic than others...!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Meant to add: Who wouldn't want to visit the Met in fiction and non. And to somehow stay there overnight. YES! Haven't read the book you mention, but I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't really like Shiver, but I do remember the bookstore. Wouldn't it be great if the big places like Barnes and Noble had huge reading lofts with lots of pillows?

    The Mixed-Up Files is one of my favorite books from childhood. I'd love to sneak in and stay there for a few days. The curators would make an absolute killing if they allowed it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm a sucker for the American South, personally!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tuscanny...a definite trip to make when I retire :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fantastic list! I've got Narnia on my list also. I've never been to New York but I'd love to visit the Met. Pembrook Park would be fun too (as long as I was on a higher rung in society than Jane was). I don't think I could give up my creature comforts and act the part though. Still, I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love seeing so many lists with Hogwarts! Here's mine: http://wp.me/pzUn5-rE

    ReplyDelete
  37. narnia, most def. even if Aslan can't make it, it would still totally be funtimes.

    love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love that so many people participated, and that you all have such awesome lists! I've had fun reading all of them!

    For those of you speaking of Austenland, seriously go and read it/read it again! It's one of my very favorites.

    I've never read Harry Potter (I know, I know...), but I saw the first movie and I can see why Hogwart's would be a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Well...I totally left two links. I'm technologically challenged sometimes. :) But I really enjoyed participating in this weeks Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This one definitely took some thought. It really made me think of the settings of my favorite books, or those that have left an impression!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I wish Narnia were real. And The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler made me want to visit the museum and live there.

    Also, I tots agree with you about the Hunger Games arena. I am sure I'd be one of the unnamed tributes that litters the ground shortly after the games begin, so I would not want to see the arena in action. But, I'd LOVE to see it between games.

    ReplyDelete
  42. New here, just found this meme! Looking forward to getting ahead of the game in weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails