Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Julia's Top Ten New to Me Authors of 2012


For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!


Julia's Top Ten New To Me Authors I Read in 2012

  1. Kristen Callihan
  2. I was in need of a good romance, especially a good paranormal romance. Then Ms. Callihan came and made it all better with her Firelight and Moonglow books. (review of Firelight) Original and well written, she is right at the top of my list!
  3. George R.R. Martin
  4. Seriously, how could I have a list without Mr. Martin? A Song of Ice and Fire has been a real joy to read (though where I am right now seems to be dragging cough), and my favorite part about it is that it gives me great things to talk about with people. Most people I know either watched the show or read the books or both. It's a great fantasy series without a main character (I will fight you if you try to tell me X is the main character, because you are wrong :) ).
  5. Courtney Milan
  6. You know, I had to go back through my Goodreads shelf to make sure that I started reading Ms. Milan this year. It's true. It was a while back, but I discovered her this year. She is a very talented author, and though her characters have been hit or miss for me, I still regard her as one of the best in the genre. In fact I am ecstatic to hear that her next book came out two days ago starting her new series! If I hadn't spent a ton of money on books already thus far, I would so be all over her book... I still may.
  7. Julie Anne Long
  8. Oh Ms. Long. The Pennyroyal Green series about two families has also been hit and miss. But the last one I read was so enchanting, it almost makes me forgive I Kissed An Earl (review). Regardless, her Regency historicals I have been steadily reading throughout the year. If they were truly bad I would have stopped a while ago. Oh, who am I kidding! I need to find out what will happen between Olivia and Lyon!
  9. Emma Lang
  10. This is the guilty one on this list. I fully admit that Ms. Lang is not the best author. In fact, I find myself skimming sometimes, but something about the way she has told the story of this family (and that there are cowboys) makes me want to keep reading. (review of Matthew)
  11. Marissa Meyer
  12. Now we move on to the people who I have only read book of but really have high hopes for book two. Like Ms. Meyer. Cinder (review) was probably my favorite YA novel that I read last year. It was so darn creative! I await anxiously book two in this fantastic series! Which hopefully is coming soon next year?
  13. Brodi Asthon
  14. Oh Ms. Ashton. Author of a pretty unique take on Greek mythos, Everneath (review). I am extremely curious to see where she takes this story. I am pretty sure I gave this one four stars, but part of me is giving it the side eye depending on how book two goes. I have high hopes!
  15. Meljean Brook
  16. It's a crime that I have only read one of the books in Ms. Brook's series, The Iron Duke (review). The third one came out this year, but alas I am behind in this series because I was so busy stumbling into other series!
  17. Jillian Stone
  18. The same "Woe! Why isn't there enough time?!" goes for Ms. Stone. I read the first book in her dreadfully unique Victorian romance series and was skeptical of all the historical details so much that I stopped reading to look them up and find out that she was indeed correct. I have been wanting to read book two ever since I saw Hysteria and have yet to get to it.
  19. Jessica Spotswood
  20. The last coveted spot on my list I am going to give to Ms. Spotswood. I read Born Wicked (review) back in the beginning of the year and liked it well enough. It was another unique premise for me to read and another one that hinges on what happens next. Only 2013 will tell!

Link up your lists people, so we all can get new authors to try in 2013!

63 comments:

  1. Marissa Meyer was new to me too and I'm in love, seriously one of my favs this year! And I think I'm going to have to read Brodi Ashton next after I finish the current stack I've check our from the library I've heard so many good things and I've developed quite the soft spot for greek mythology inspired stuff.

    marissa
    my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the double link! My co-blogger and I linked the post separately-and then emailed each other we had done it. Oops!

    Marissa Meyer and Jessica Spotswood are great picks! Unfortunately I am that rare person who does not like A Game of Thrones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand why you wouldnt though. If I were a literature student or had any motivation I would write an essay on why I think 1)A Song of Ice and Fire has no main character and thus 2)no everyman for the reader to connect with.

      And no worries about the double link :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely loved Cinder and was crazy surprised at just how much. The synopsis sounded too sci-fi-ish for me, but it wasn't at all.
    I still would like to read Wicked. It is good to know that Jessica Spotswood made your list.
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have Marissa Meyer in common & I suspect she'll be a popular choice this week. Good call on Meljean Brook and Jessica Spotswood too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of some of these authors so I'll have to check out their books! My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/top-ten-favorite-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2012/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have Marissa Myers on my list! I am so looking forward to Scarlet!

    Here are my favorite new authors of 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any from these authors ..YET! Few of them I've heard but haven't gotten to their books yet. --What a fun topic! Great way to put a plug in for authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Courtney Milan and Julie Anne Long were both on my list, too! Great choices! :) I have never read anything by the others, though. Clearly, I should check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I went so long not reading either of their books, especially Long who is what 6 or 7 books deep into Pennyroyal Green? Insane! I must have been under a rock!

      Delete
    2. I know! I am usually fairly up to date on the "bigger" historical romance authors. If nothing else, I've at least seen them mentioned a time or two, so I recognize their name. I had heard nothing - to my recollection, anyway - about Long until What I Did was on sale for $.99. Best discovery ever!

      Delete
  9. Apart from George R. R. Martin I haven't read (or heard of) any of your authors, but now I have more to explore!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are Authors on this list I have not heard of, but I look forward in checking their novels out :)

    - Marissa @ For The Love Of Film And Novels

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marissa Meyer was on my list too. Loved Cinder! Can't wait for Scarlet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there! I love this topic! And I think it's great you mentioned Jessica Spotswood - I thought of doing it, too but then there were just too many to name :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry I had to post a duplicate. I normally link up on my phone but someone bumped me and my first link (#66) was not a link at all. My real link is #70. Thank you for your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I had Marissa Meyer on my list and if I hadn't "met" Brodi Ashton's amazing books I'd have had her on the list too!

    I totally have to read something by George R.R. Martin and Jessica Spotswood. I can't believe I've never read either of their books yet. And I must totally check out one of Courtney Milan's book.

    What an awesome list you have! Totally diverse listing of authors. Hope you meet 10 new and exciting authors' books in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great list! I'm definitely going to check these author out :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't really know about any of the authors on your list, but I think I'll be adding some new books to my TBR list now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Be gentle everyone, this is my first time....and I have not encountered any of the authors on your list. Challenge accepted! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Good luck. Most of them are historical romance novel authors so ye be warned. :D

      Delete
  18. George RR Martin is definitely on my list =D x

    ReplyDelete
  19. ASoIaF is such an investment to get into but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to catch up so badly so I can watch the series! I can't watch it until I am caught up because I dont want to lose the images in my head, you know?

      Delete
  20. I read my first George R.R. Martin last year, but yes, he totally needs to be on more lists! Sadly not a lot of my friends read his Song of Fire and Ice series- a few are pretty daunted by the length, but fortunately my brother read the series this year. I'm on A Dance With Dragons, but it's been slow only because I'm listening to it on audio. The narrator is fantastic... except his female voices leave a bit to be desired. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I only recognize three names on your list! I'll have to check out the others. Making my list was harder than I expected it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read any of these authors yet... maybe I'll get to 'meet' some of them in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hate to admit it, but I haven't read George R. R. Martin yet. He is on my list for new authors in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been wanting to read Cinder. I keep hearing such good things about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. George R.R. Martin is on my list too! I loved Game of Thrones and can't wait to read the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, all the authors on your list are still new to me! At first, I thought I'd have trouble actually getting 10 new authors on my list, but that was the easy part this week!

    Here's my TTT post

    ReplyDelete
  27. GRRM is on my list too! I haven't heard of anybody else on your list though, lol - they're all new to me! I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday in a while, but I really liked this topic! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't read even one author on your list! Even though I do own Cinder, I haven't had a chance to get to it yet. A Song of Fire & Ice is on my reading list...I feel so behind! Sigh...but great list all around! Thanks for sharing & for hosting!!

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete
  29. You'll have to keep us posted on how you like the rest of the Game of Thrones series. I don't mind an ensemble cast at all... But he just keeps adding to it as the books go on! It's hard to keep track. More Starks! More Lannisters! Less Dorne!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Marissa Meyer is also on my list. Great author! I can't wait for Scarlet.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have a few authors on your list I want to check out like Martin and Meyer, though I haven't read anything by anyone on your list yet.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great list! Marissa Meyer was on mine as well and I am about to start Everneath.

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  33. Courtney Milan is awesome. She's on my list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I picked Brodi Ashton, too! Loved the tone, characters and mythology. I hope the rest of the series is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Haven't read any of these authors. And this is my first time doing Top ten Tuesday, I hope it's okay that I'm writing my list in swedish? :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. The George R. R. Martin books went a bit downhill for me, too. I could have included Marissa Meyer in mine if the list had been longer! Great selection :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. This was a fun list to create! I hadn't realized how many new authors I had read this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good list! Marissa Meyer didn't make it onto my list, but I've got high hopes for her and the lunar chronicles too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. A thousand times yes on George R. R. Martin, just read A Game of Thrones for the first time a few weeks ago and fell in love. I can't believe I forgot to include him on my list. DOH. xD

    ReplyDelete
  40. I only know two out of the ten names on your list. This is exciting for me. I can't want to have a peek at the other posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm definitely on board with Marissa Meyer. LOVE HER!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I discovered George R.R. Martin late last year and spent ALL of 2012 reading books 2-5 of A Song of Ice and Fire. Love it and desperately need more. Marissa Meyer made my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. First-time commenter... :) I think my work computer with all of its so-called protections is hiding the widget from me, so here is the link to my TTT: http://mininerd.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-favorite-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2012/ Your list gave me some new author ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just got done reading Everbound a couple of weeks ago. I really hope you like it. I loved how the story went and I think it sets up the third book very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'll have to take notes on a few of your authors. I didn't recognize one of them! It was nice to look back though and think of authors who affected me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Unfortunately I have yet to read anything by George RR Martin. But he's on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Brodi Ashton, Jessica Spotswood, George R.R Martin & Kristen Callihan are authors I hopefully will add to my list soon! :) There books sound really good. Awesome list.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Brodi Aston sounds fascinating--I love greek mythology/fairytale retellings so much!

    ReplyDelete
  49. George R. R. Martin = genius! I will need to check out some of the other authors, they sound interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow! I don't think I have heard of all of your authors, guess I really need to get cracking! Maybe some of them will make my list for next year!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have read exactly zero of your listed authors! My friends keep urging me to pick up the George RR Martin series, but as of yet, I've resisted. They look like something I'd lose myself in for a month and completely forget about the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oooo, Jessica Spotswood! I almost added her to my list too. Pretty nifty debut she had there.

    ReplyDelete
  53. The only author on this list who I am familiar with is George R.R. Martin. And I haven't read him!
    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  54. I read through your article with much interest and thought. I am impressed with your writing style and presentation of viewpoints. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love the game of throne series as well, although I've only read one book lol. Cinder was great and I can't wait to read Scarlet! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Marissa Meyer is FANTASTIC. I love her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails