Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday -- Books that Feature Travel in Some Way

For the future Top Ten schedule and how to participate go HERE!



This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic is Books that Feature Travel in Some Way.  Lori and Jamie came up with their ten picks for the best books dealing with travel.  Can't wait to see your picks!

1. On the Road by Jack Kerouac--Obviously.   You just can't write a post about books featuring travel and not include THE novel about road tripping.  Sal Paradise (Jack Kerouac) and his friends go on several cross-country trips and do a whole lot of drugs.  It has some really interesting ruminations about life and man's existence.  And just some funny instances because of everyone's strung out state.  I read the original published edition a few years ago.  I'm reading the Original Scroll--the transcript of Kerouac's manuscript, which had no paragraph or chapter breaks--this summer.  Should be a fun challenge.






2. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert--I totally envy this trip.  I would love to go to Italy, India, and Indonesia.  This memoir is really inspirational and it makes you want to go places.  I want to eat my weight in pasta in Italy, then meditate it off at an ashram in Italy, then study with an old medicine man in Indonesia.  Who wouldn't?  I recently watched the movie and think I might need to reread the book soon.  And do some yoga...







3. Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes--I count this as a book with travel...even though she's kind of mostly describing the process of buying and fixing up a new home.  But she is a US resident.  I love this book so much.  It makes me want to travel to Italy even more than I already do, which is a lot, so in a way, it IS about travel.







4. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares--I do read some YA :)  I read all four of these one summer in a complete tear.  They were light, fun reads.  The first one includes more travel than the others because three of the four girls are traveling for the summer.  They're just fun and talk about the changing nature of friendships as you grow into adulthood.  (I need to read the fifth one sometime soon!)  I went to the Greek Islands a couple of years ago and would love to go back.  Greece really is as beautiful as depicted in the movie.





5. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson--Another novel about driving around and doing copious amounts of drugs.  This book was pretty funny--more funny than On the Road.  There were some musings about life and existence.  It made me wish I could be a journalist from the 1950s/1960s.  I need to see the movie sometime soon.






Lori's top 3 would definitely be on my list!



6. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson: I had some problems connecting with this book but I really enjoyed the travel aspect and the journey she was on!












7. Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard: One of my all time favorites!! I loved vicariously backpacking around South America!
















8. Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck: I love this travelogue from John Steinbeck about his travels across the US with his dog Charley. It was really quiet and reflective and I get so caught up sometimes in exotic places but after reading this I wanted to do a cross country road trip!






9. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner: This was an interesting travelogue because it wasn't just about the adventure but an interesting study in happiness around the world.








10. In Honor by Jessi Kirby: A very emotional road trip that I adored!










55 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed 13 Little Blue Envelopes! Fun list! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/06/03/travel/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series! I have yet to read the last 2, but they are definitely on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! I love Travels With Charley. Forgot about Under the Tuscan Sun, but now I want to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Travels with Charley is such a classic. I need to reread that. Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally want to read the Tuscany one, the Geography of Bliss, and maybe Travels with Charley, too. Loved Eat Pray Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fear and Loathing: I liked The Johnny Depp movie more than the book (there's also one with Bill Murray that's not as good but still interesting.)
    Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a great choice that I didn't even think of though it says Traveling right in the title.
    And I am totally looking up The Geography of Bliss and Wanderlove now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read Eat, Pray, Love or Under the Tuscan Sun even though I've read and enjoyed other books by those authors. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How could I forget Eat Pray Love??? I LOVED that book, great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't do the Top Ten last week, but this weeks list was really fun to do. I got into some deeper meanings of the word 'travel' - check out my post to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I didn't think about Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas! If you haven't read it yet, check out Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 -- I think it's even better. Nice list!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Eat Pray Love, but I totally forgot to include it on my list today o.O

    Here's my TTT post for this week.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first TTT! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these! Still need to read a few though. Had a lot of fun this week with the picks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Top Ten!

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-teaser-tuesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this list! Travel theme was a favourite of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Geography of Bliss is on my list too! Great topic - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wanderlove, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and 13 Little Blue Envelopes are all on my list, too. I've heard great things about In Honor. Great topic and list! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the Pants on my list too! Great choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The first book I thought of when I saw this topic was 13 Little Blue Envelopes. Love that book!

    Denise @ Life With No Plot

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always wondered if I should read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to read Eat Pray Love - everyone keeps raving about that book. ::groan:: Another one for the TBR mountain.

    Great theme, as always. There were so many ways I could have gone with this one. I love TTT - it always makes me think!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Eat, Pray, Love, but not the movie. The book has one of the best first lines ever. Ironically, I've never read Under the Tuscan sun, but I love the movie. And you should totally read Sisterhood Everlasting. It is an amazing and tear-jerking conclusion to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely had to put 'On the Road' as my #1, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great list! I have On the Road, Wanderlove, and the Sisterhood on my list, too. I recently read Golden by Jessi Kirby and loved it, so I definitely plan to pick up In Honor soon.
    -Natalie @Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great list! IN HONOR is definitely on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list! I'll have to bump IN HONOR up on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I keep getting mixed messages on 13 Little Blue Envelopes, but I think I'm going to add it to my TBR list anyway. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great list. A lot of books on there I'll have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great list. A lot of books on there I want to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't believe I didn't think of Eat, Pray, Love or 13 Little Blue Envelopes! I may have to bump Wanderlove and I think I'll have to add On The Road to my TBR pile since I've never read it. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants! That series brings back so many memories for me =) I need to check out Wanderlove, I've only ever heard great things about it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great list, we share two: Eat, Pray, Love & In Honor (I LOVEDDDDDD In Honor)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I didn't even think of adding The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants to my post. That was a really awesome series!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I haven't read any of those! I want to read Wonderlove though.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I also picked Traveling Pants and Under the Tuscan Sun! Lovely list :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've been wanting to check out 13 Little Blue Envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I STILL haven't read Fear and Loathing... I need to get around to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I mentioned Wanderlove in a comment for another blog. I love, loved that book! I've only seen the Traveling Pants movies, but I imagine the books are fun too. In Honor was great--all of Jessi Kirby's books have wonderful imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love reading books that take you somewhere! Nice List. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice list! THE GEOGRAPHY OF BLISS made my list too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This one gave me a lot more trouble than it should have--I couldn't think of 10 literal travel books, so I stretched the definition a little.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I entered On the road by Kerouac. A tad obvious, perhaps...
    http://booksabc.com/2013/06/04/top-ten-tuesday-om-resor/

    ReplyDelete
  43. I wish I could go on an Eat Pray Love type journey as well! I have been to India, so that's one down! :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nice selection. Thanks for sharing. It was fun to go through my books to categorize them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nice selection of books & love the topic. It was fun sorting through mine to see how I categorized them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great list! 13 Little Blue Envelopes made my list as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love the sisterhood of the traveling pants, under the Tuscan sun, and eat, pray, love!!! Very nice selection.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I want to read Wanderlove so bad! And The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is on my last as well.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I actually haven't read any of these books, but I love this week's top ten, it different and somehow fitting for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I really want to reread Traveling Pants now. Totally forgot about that one; otherwise it would've made my list!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Only one (Michelle) out of five of us over at Dreaming With Ink managed to complete a list. :)
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  52. I've heard a lot about 13 Little Blue Envelopes! I definitely am going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great list! I loved your choices for this Top 10 - Here's the link to mine!
    http://bookgirlfromsouthcarolina.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/top-ten-tuesday-travel/

    ReplyDelete
  54. Finally joining up with TTT and added my blog to the Linky!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I absolutely adore Under the Tuscan Sun!! What a perfect addition and great topic for this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails